I have been travelling at least once a year since 2012 and it has been one of the most life changing things for me.
As a result, I have encountered a lot of people that have asked me how I can afford to travel and I’m here to tell you how.
These are the things that I apply when it comes to planning my travels.
- Budget. Find out how much you are able to lay aside to put a travel fund. With the income that I have I am able to set aside at least 50 a month. It may not seem like much but it does provide me with a foundation. I place that money into my travel fund and it’s with a bank that does not charge foreign transaction fees!
- Prioritize. Do you prefer to spend the $500 on a new pair of shoes or on a round-trip ticket to Europe?
- Tour companies. I have been travelling internationally with a tour company called EF College break. They do the hard stuff for you (like buy the airplane ticket and book lodging) and have an itinerary planned! I book a trip a year in advance and make payments to them each month so by the time the date of the trip comes around I don’t have to worry about anything. I would recommend this if you are anxious of travelling alone and if you are a first timer. This is a fast paced program that is aimed at 18-28 year old adults; I have met a lot of my friends through this program and I am so thankful for them!
- Sell stuff. I have recently started to sell stuff in order to fund my vice. It is actually a really freeing thing and if you have items that you have not used in the past month – sell it!
- Couchsurf. This is one of the best things about making friends everywhere you go – you have a home away from home! It doesn’t cost you a thing, but I like to give my hostess a thank you present for their hospitality.
Everyone’s story in how they afford to travel is different; there’s no uniform way to afford travel.
For those of you that truly want to travel – I hope that you are encouraged by this post and start planning your next trip!
For my fellow travelers, any tips you have in being able to afford travel? I would love know!