For those of you who might know me on a more personal level, you might be aware of my heart for missions and just reaching out to those that desperately need Jesus. Even though I have a heart for missions, I don’t know exactly how or what God could use me, if I don’t technically have “schooling” for it. Well, I will let you in on what God has been revealing to me in the past few months!
Sometime around June or July of 2016, the Lord put it on my heart to save $10,000.00 but I did not know why. While I was in New Zealand, I encountered someone that told me about a program called YWAM (Youth With A Mission), which I had never heard about. I researched it as soon as I got back home in the States (end of August 2016) but then put it off to the side.
In December 2016, I started having a pressing on my heart about Canada; Vancouver in particular. There were a lot of instances where I would be somewhere and people would talk to me about this country or city, and I would see things pop up about it on my social media. There was even a day in particular in which I was in a grocery store, decided to buy a couple of protein bars (which I do not usually buy since I do not care too much for them), and I see that they were both made in Canada! I was thinking to myself, “Okay Lord! Why are you doing this? What do you want me to do with this? “
In January 2017, I went on a fast for 30 days in order to seek guidance and answers. One day I decided to email YWAM Vancouver to ask them on their pricing for the Discipleship Training School (DTS). Imagine my surprise when I read the response in which they tell me that the total cost for the program is…$9,500.00CAD!!! God must have a sense of humor! That was why I needed to save $10K; I just didn’t know in which currency!
I ended up seeking wise counsel on this matter (it is a huge decision) and after praying about it, I received confirmation for the YWAM endeavor in the following ways:
- Getting a raise at work,
- Talking to a friend, after church, and she told me she had gone to YWAM in London and some of her friends she made there were from Vancouver,
- Meeting a lady at a women’s Bible Study whose daughter had done a YWAM program as well
- My workplace burning down; and since the program is from September 26-February 28th, I will be able to take a leave of absence and return, just in time for the plant to start back up (and I get to keep my health insurance – which I needed to have),
- Recently, on March 20th, after applying to the program on the 1st, I received my acceptance letter,
- And on March 31st, I received a call from a debt settlement program that I am involved in. They had reached a settlement amount with my last creditor, which means that – I am finally DEBT FREE!!! [This is a biggie since it was one of the prayers I had asked the Lord to answer if this be His will for me!]
While I did not directly see in Scripture that says “Damaris, go to YWAM Vancouver,” there were a few verses that I was constantly meditating upon. They are:
Psalm 143: 8-10 – “Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you. Rescue me from my enemies, Lord; I run to you to hide me. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your gracious spirit lead me forward on a firm footing.”
Isaiah 43:18-19 – “Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.”
Needless to say that after all these events of God’s providence and faithfulness in my life, I am going to step out of my comfort zone once again – for five months! In trusting God’s faithfulness and His provision, I am going to start raising support for this trip. It would be incredibly helpful if you pray for me with this endeavor and step of faith. I will be posting another update soon!
*Please note that I did not take the picture of the city skyline.